Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Top 10 Repurposed Gifts you can Find at Auction


Tis the season to be jolly, or if you are like most of us, tis the season to agonize over what to give that one person who is so hard to shop for. I agonized and agonized like I do every year (my mother is SO hard to shop for)! Fortunately I work at an auction house so unique and interesting gift ideas are always right in front of me. There are many ways re-purpose the things you can find at auction with normal stuff you might have lying around your house. 

So here is my top 10 list of the best re-purposed holiday gifts ideas from things I see come into our doors all the time.

10. Turn this dresser into an extra special accent piece. I see great furniture come through our doors all the time. Auctions are a great place to pick up something that with a little love can be a master piece. 
For example here are a twelve ideas. Here is another idea, but instead of buying the dresser from a big box store, buy it at auction and give new love to something that already exists.



9.  Mason Jar Upcycle. We see mason and ball jars come through the doors all the time. These are some of my favorite ways to reuse them for holiday décor and gifts like a soap dispenser or holiday candle


8. What about those old mirrors and frames? We get plenty of them… have you ever thought of making it into a statement piece? A little paint and viola! Here are some more ideas with repurposed frames .


7. Button Crafts! As anyone will tell you I am just mad about buttons! We sell them by the thousands! Here are some button project ideas! I know someone who would LOVE a button bouquet for their wedding (ahem)! Here's another one that combines the frame and the buttons. Don't for get button bobby pins 
Did I mention I LOVE buttons. You can read my post about them here ­


6.  And for that person in your life with a green thumb? I love these teacup planter ideas. We sell teacups by the case full and this is a great way to use them!


5.  Personalized Mugs. I can’t even begin to tell you how many mugs we sell. We sell the by the box. Why not make a personalized mug for someone?

4. Decorated Tins. I have them on my desk at home to keep my stuff organized. They can be repurposed to match just about any décor. They would also look great in kids rooms.

3. Maps. We all have them. I probably have all 50 states stuffed into my car somewhere here are some great ideas to reuse them. I love the idea of making hearts out of places that are special to you and framing it! I might be doing that tonight when I get home! Italy anyone?

2.  Okay, I’m slightly wedding obsessed, I am in the middle of planning my own, so I had to throw this in. I love using the vintage keys for a guest book. But I also love the idea of putting a key on a chain and making a really great unique necklace.

1. And what to wrap all your creations in? Maps, newspaper, recycled grocery bags, old posters, comics. The possibilities are endless  

All of us at Gateway Gallery Auction want to wish you all a very happy Holiday and a happy New Year! We are busy getting set up for our auctions beginning in January 2013. As always be sure to check out our upcoming auctions for more great upcycled and re-purposing ideas as well as vintage and antique items! 


No comments:

Post a Comment